South Dublin County Council recently published its Draft Climate Action Plan 2024-2029 as required by Section 16 of the Climate Action and Low Carbon Development (Amendment) Act 2021. The draft plan responds to the continuing challenges presented by climate change and lays out South Dublin County Council’s (SDCC) course of action over the five-year lifetime of the plan, with these next five years being vital for meaningful climate action. This local response speaks to International, European and National efforts to deliver on climate ambition and action, in the context of rapidly evolving strategies and plans at all levels.
With this Draft CAP the Council aims to continue to lead on reducing our greenhouse (GHG) emissions, while planning for new and future climate related risks and impacts. This plan aims to build on our experience of delivering the previous Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP) 2019-2024, which established a strong foundation of climate action in South Dublin and enables informed, ambitious actions to be developed for this plan.
The Draft plan is centred around actions that collectively address the four key targets of this plan:
• 50% improvement in the Council’s energy efficiency by 2030;
• 51% reduction in the Council’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2030;
• To make Dublin a climate resilient region, by reducing the impacts of future climate change-related events;
• To actively engage and inform our communities on climate action.
The South Dublin County Council Draft Climate Action Plan, the Strategic Environmental Assessment Environmental Report and Appropriate Assessment Natura Impact Report, will be on display from Wednesday 20th September to Friday 3rd November 2023 at the following locations:
- Online via the Council’s Public Consultation Portal: http://consult.sdublincoco.ie
- At South Dublin County Council, County Hall, Tallaght, Dublin 24, D24A3XC (Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm)
- At Clondalkin Civic Office, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 (Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) between the hours of 10.00am and 12.00pm and 2.00pm and 4.00pm)
- At the following Council Libraries during normal opening hours:
- County Library, Library Square, Tallaght, Dublin D24A3EX.
- Ballyroan Library, Orchardstown Avenue, Rathfarnham, Dublin D14 VY33.
- Clondalkin Library, Monastery Road, Clondalkin, Dublin D22 XPO3.
- Lucan Library, Lucan Shopping Centre, Newcastle Road, Lucan, Dublin K78 V295.
- North Clondalkin Library, Liscarne Close, Rowlagh, Dublin 22.
Observations or submissions can be made between Wednesday 20th September and Friday 3rd November 2023 inclusive, through the following two options only:
- A written submission can be made electronically through the Council’s Online Public Consultation Portal: http://consult.sdublincoco.ie (up to 11.59pm on Friday 3rd November 2023); Or
- In writing, addressed to the Senior Engineer, Climate Action, Environment, Water and Climate Change Department, County Hall, Tallaght, Dublin 24 (not later than 4.00pm on 3rd November 2023).
A series of public information events are planned, these events will be advertised through SDCC social media channels. To keep up to date on latest climate news and announcements in South Dublin please visit www.southdublinclimate.ie.