Social Housing Fund must benefit local people

Home Care Services

“€14m being made available to Councils to improve homes for  people with disabilities and older people”

South Dublin County Council should access a national fund of €14m to  improve the homes of people with disabilities and those of older people,  according to Dublin South West Independent Minister, Katherine Zappone.

Minister Zappone says the fund is being made available to allow for  improvements such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms in local  social housing. The Government will pay 90% of the cost of any approved improvements, with  Councils providing the remaining 10%.

Welcoming the announcement Minister Zappone added: “Living in your own home in your local community is the best comfort and  security we can offer people with disabilities and older people. This fund  will allow that to happen. The improvements to homes will make them safer, accessible and secure. There are two other important situations whereby works can be approved.  Firstly in cases of overcrowding to allow for extra space and comfort. Secondly work can be permitted on a private dwelling when a person has  been granted social housing but no house is available.

This allows people to remain in private housing while their needs are met  without increasing the strain on current social housing stock. The money being made available represents a significant increase of €2m on  last year.

South Dublin County Council should ensure that our local communities get a  fair share of the additional funding – and that it benefits those in the  greatest need. Anyone who requires further information should contact their Council directly.

Sarah Brooks

Sarah Brooks

Sarah has worked in marketing and content creation for many years. In her role at Newsgroup, she is the online editor of with a particular interest in local news and events. Sarah also works closely with our editorial team on our printed editions in Tallaght, Lucan, Clondalkin and Rathcoole/Saggart. If you have a story and would like to make contact please email Sarah at


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

Related News