- 450g (1lb) self-raising flour
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
- 75g (3oz) butter, cubed
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 280ml buttermilk
- To serve cream and jam
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and butter into a bowl. Rub with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas or do this in a food processor.
- Mix the eggs and buttermilk together in a jug and pour all but 1 tablespoon into the flour bowl and lightly mix together until combined – it should be a fairly moist dough.
- Lightly sprinkle the worktop with flour and gently knead the dough until smooth and soft. Roll to about 2.5cm (1in) thick. Using a 6cm (2½ in) round fluted scone cutter, stamp out 12 scones.
- Arrange the scones on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the reserved egg and milk mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes until risen and lightly golden.
- PREPARE AHEAD These are best made on the day, but they can also be made up to a day ahead and reheated.
- FREEZE They freeze well cooked.