At our Kip McGrath Education Centre our tutors see students misspelling words all the time. Here is our list of top 10 words that are regularly misspelled by students and a few handy hints for getting them right.
1.Because – the ending of this word is tricky to remember.
Remember: Big Elephants Can’t Always Understand Small Elephants Because
2. Separate – commonly misspelled seperate
Remember: Never separate a para from his parachute! Separate
3. Weird – commonly misspelled wierd
4. Believe – commonly misspelled beleive
Remember: There is always a lie in believe.
5. Friend – commonly misspelled freind
Remember: A friend is a friend until the end
6. Accommodation – commonly misspelled acommodation or accomodation
Remember: Accommodation has two cots and two mattresses.
7. Beautiful – commonly misspelled beutiful
Remember: It is important to “be a“ beautiful person.
8. February – commonly misspelled Feburary
It is brrrrr cold in February
9. Necessary– commonly misspelled neccessary
Remember: One “collar” and two “socks”. Necessary
10. A lot – This is commonly misspelled as one word – alot
Remember: You do not write alittle so don’t write alot. A lot is two separate words.
There are many more and each student will be different – both in terms of their mistakes and how they best learn the corrections.